Friday, November 4, 2011

~ Mexican Yumminess~


My favorite food in the whole world is Mexican! I have made chicken enchiladas several times, but today I decided to get a little creative and try something different. Here is what I came up with! It was amazing, even if I say so myself!!




When we were in Uganda, Grace (the lady that does the cooking when there are teams there) made fresh sauted spinach with onions and garlic. I have never liked cooked spinach, but I made up my mind I was going to try everything she fixed. It was soooo good! It wasn't soggy or slimey like canned or frozen spinach. So with that in mind, I decided to incorporate it into my chicken enchiladas. Boil the chicken and shred (I used a large package of thighs) Then make the sauce, which is:

1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
2 Cups Chicken Broth
8 Ounces Sour Cream
Chopped Jalepenos`

Melt the butter on low and then stir in the flour and stir until smooth. Slowly add the chicken broth and keep stirring until it is thick and bubbly. Remove it from the heat and add the sour cream and jalepenos`. Pour half of the sauce in the bottom of a 13X9 baking dish.

Chop an onion and 3 to 4 cloves of garlic and probably a half of a bag of baby spinach (rough chop) and saute` in a small amount of butter until the spinach is slightly wilted. Add the shredded chicken and sprinkle with Cumin (about 1 teaspoon). Dip corn tortillas in hot grease and fill with chicken mixture and a small amount of Monterey Jack cheese. Pour the remaining sauce on top and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Add a layer of Jack cheese and bake until just browned.

Enjoy!!!!

No comments: