Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

We had a wonderful New Year's Day today. We had Mom and Dad, Tim, Lisa and Carson, Austin, Sara, Emma and Ella over for dinner. We don't have a lot of traditions around our house, but one we do have is Ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, and blackeyed peas (YUCK!) for New Year's dinner. Everything else is optional. My dad used to make me eat at least a spoonful of blackeye's every year for good luck. Then several years ago I discovered there is no such thing as luck. You are either blessed or your not. I choose to be blessed and I don't need any luck that some gross blackeyed peas would bring. My dad had to agree, so he doesn't push them anymore. Then after dinner, the women sat around the table making more bracelets for our trip. We have made around 120 so far.

I never make a new year's resolution, because I have broken every one I've ever made. This year I am making a commitment to read the Bible through in a year. I bought a One Year Chronological Bible from Proverbs 31 Ministries and am excited to get it started. I will read today's passage as soon as I get off the computer. Everyone just left and the house is quiet, so this is a good time. As I was reading Marybeth Whalen's blog I noticed that she likes to pick a verse for the year. I really like that idea and I liked the verse she chose to post on her fridge for the month of January. It was 1 Samuel 12:24 "But be sure to fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things He has done for you." I have been blessed far more than I deserve in my life and I am so grateful for everything He has done for me.

I have several things to look forward to in the next two month. My birthday is Monday, which really is no big deal anymore, I'm not sure why I look forward to it. The end of January I am going to Houston to a conference that includes Lysa TerKeurst and Kate Gosslin (Jon and Kate plus 8) I love that show! And then February 10th we leave for Uganda. I know it will go by in a flash. Anyway the anticipation is so exciting!

No comments: