Thursday, December 4, 2008

I Said YES!!

In the last two or three years, I have read different things on mentoring and have really been interested in it, but didn't really have an opportunity to do anything about it. We just got through with the Bible study "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God" by Lysa TerKeurst which has really challenged me in a lot of areas. One Wednesday night, Amy asked for someone to call her each morning for a week to keep her accountable for getting up at 7:30 and spending time reading the Bible. I volunteered for the job and we did this for a week. It was an amazing time for me. We would talk and email back and forth about what we had read each day. I have been excited for each day to see what I would read and learn. Not that I wasn't reading, it just wasn't consistently. That week in our reading we read Titus 2. The thought of mentoring again began rolling around in my head, but still I didn't have an idea about who, how or when.

My foot notes said (: Young women who were new Christians were to learn how to have harmony in the home by watching older women who had been Christians for some time. If you are of an age or position where people look up to you, make sure that your example is motivating younger believers to live in a way that honors God. Wow! What a challenge. I again put it aside. I began reading the book "The Love Dare" from the movie Fireproof and about the fifth day it hit me. I know the Lord said to me "Give this book to Holly", (the daughter of a friend of mine at church), and do this together. You are going to be her mentor. I thought this cannot be right. This book is for marriages. But as I read it more I realized that it doesn't have to be just for marriages. Change the word spouse to others and it would apply to anyone. So, I nervously approached Holly with the idea, thinking she was going to think I am out of my mind. To my surprise, she was so excited about it. We will be meeting with each other once a week and discussing what we have read for the week. We had our first meeting Tuesday and it was so cool to see how much we have in common, even given the age difference. I think we concluded it must be a first born thing. She is an amazing young lady and I am excited to get to know her better.

This has really taken me out of my comfort zone, but I am looking forward to being used by God in any way He sees fit. I have a prayer from this book posted on my bathroom mirror that says, God, I want to see You. God, I want to hear You. God, I want to know You. God, I want to follow hard after You. And even before I know what I will face today, I say yes to You. The last line of the book by Lysa TerKeurst says: What happens when women say yes to God? The world is changed. This is What Happens When I Said Yes to God!!!! It may not change the world, but maybe it will help a young lady and it will definitely change me.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I really am needin' my 7:30 calls again! :( I feel like I'm slipping!

Sweet Pea said...

That is so neat! Holly will be blessed by your friendship.
I think you are more a journalist than what you thought. Your blog is amazing already! Have a good evening!

Lisa said...

What an awesome thing you are doing! I always wanted to be mentored by someone when I was younger, but it wasn't until we moved to Enid and I was 28 years old that this happened. I met with an older lady and it was so good for me. I learned so much from her. I wish there were more people willing to do this because I really think it is something young people desire. Even though you are mentoring her, you too will be blessed by the experience!